The Historic UXU Ranch

The UXU Ranch is an historic guest ranch occupying 39.3 acres leased from the Shoshone National Forest service, along U.S. Highway 14-16-20 in Park County, Wyoming. The setting is heavily forested and mountainous, located at the confluence of June Creek and the North Fork of the Shoshone River, 17 miles east of the east entrance into Yellowstone National Park. The 18 buildings and structures are laid out in typical rustic guest ranch style: a centrally­ located grand lodge surrounded by guest cabins and support buildings. Construction materials are primarily wood (log or board and batten) with stone and cement foundations. The contributing buildings and structure evolved over a period of years from the late 1800's through the 1930's, with minimal remodelling to accommodate modern plumbing and mechanical system updates. They have historic integrity of design, materials, workmanship, and a feeling in association with early Western guest ranching. The UXU Ranch is one of the most intact of all the guest ranches in this multiple property nomination.

The beautiful Shoshone National Forest, dedicated in 1891 as the first national forest in the United States, provides the incredible backdrop for the historic UXU Ranch and the valley that surrounds it. Aspen and cottonwood trees line the stream courses, while lodge pole pine, Douglas fir and Engleman spruce predominate in the woods. Eocene volcanic rock peaks of the Absaroka Mountains form dramatic outcroppings along U.S. Highway 14-16-20, which crosses the Shoshone National Forest from its east to west boundaries. Interestingly, this section of federal roadway between Cody and Yellowstone was part of the original Yellowstone Highway (the route from Denver to Cody to the east entrance of Yellowstone) and was also called the Cody Road in the early days of automobile travel. In this region, the highway follows the course of the North Fork of the Shoshone River, as it flows east from Yellowstone to Cody, at the western edge of the Big Horn Basin.

The UXU is in its original historic location in a setting that looks much like it did from 1929 to 1950, as it was transformed from its early sawmill-tent cabin phase. The contributing buildings and one contributing structure have historic integrity of design, materials, workmanship, feeling and association. Their simple designs and construction materials are rustic and evocative of the natural beauty of their setting. Most of the lumber for the contributing buildings was processed at the sawmill that was operating on the site until the early decades of the l900's.

Fireplace